Gymboree Children's Clothing      
Trying to leave a comment?
Click on the the post's link (title). 
A facebook form is at the bottom.

Using Social Media to aid in Joplin's Disaster Relief

May 27, 2011


Picture from Articles.CNN.com
Just as quickly as tornadoes hit and heartache soon follows. Then when they come back hitting some areas more than once I feel completely helpless. As I watch the news I'm thinking "What can I possibly do?"

Sometimes our limitations aren't limiting. I'm good at spreading the news through my blog, Twitter, and Facebook.com. In times like this communities strengthen because of social media. I can't physically go to Missouri, allow it's not too far a drive for me. I can help in the aid process by allowing provisions to go viral.

Here are a few ways to help:

My friend Nikki is hosting a Scentsy
{ fundraiser to aid in the Joplin Disaster Relief }
Nikki Anderson
Everyone I'm going to be doing a scentsy fundraiser for Joplin. If interested in helping please call 620-875-3731 or go to http://nikkianderson.scentsy.us/ and click on JOPLIN DISASTER RELIEF FUNDRAISER. You can help by ordering or collecting orders. Hostess rewards will still apply. PLEASE HELP!!! She has just headed that way to help minister and personally get needed items to the city.

If wanting to send items people are in need of large totes, bags (plastic, ziploc, garbage) to gather their belongings into. Diapers, personal hygiene supplies, can openers, razors, brushes, packaged snacks, bottled water, blankets.

Text a Donation
Thanks to an email I received from Cindy W. Morrison, a local public figure and social media strategist, for these simple but effective ways people can donate!
• Text "REDCROSS" to 90999 to donate $10 to the American Red Cross
• Text "JOPLIN" to 864833 to donate $10 to the Heart of Missouri United Way
• Text "CONVOY" to 50555 to donate $10 to the Convoy of Hope

For those like me a bit weary of paying by text you can give online as well:
Redcross: http://www.redcross.org/
United Way (MO): http://www.uwheartmo.org/
Convoy of Hope: https://donate.convoyofhope.org/sslpage.aspx

I personally checked each one of these text numbers and links to make sure I wasn't giving out the wrong information.

These are the types of stories that need to be broadcast over and over, not some scandalous celebrity dispute. Share these ways and more to help those in need. Spread awareness through social media. It can be a beautiful tool if used properly.
Share Pin It


comments
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...